Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tell Me Why......

I have been feeding my dogs "Zuke's" treats for several years now.  Located in Durango, CO I like their ingredient list and it appears they have our pet's best interests in mind.  When I initially found Zuke's, I went looking for an online store, but did not find it.
This morning on Facebook they announced a 1/2 price sale on their "mininaturals" one of the items I use for training treats.  So I signed on to their new-to-me website and started a shopping cart.  Since I was there, and I was low on several of the treats I use for training and dog shows, I figured I would stock up.  Right away I realized the prices were outrageous.  Ridiculously outrageous.  On par with boutique pet stores outrageous.
Backing up a bit, let me give a plug for an on-line company from where I exclusively purchase my Zuke's products (as well as other necessary stuff!) http://www.petguys.com  they have amazing prices, excellent customer service, low shipping costs and a fairly comprehensive selection of canine edibles.
So, I checked the PetGuys prices against the Zuke's prices and discovered I was accurate in stating that the prices shown on the Zuke's website ARE IN FACT OUTRAGEOUS.  Even the so-called "50% off" mininaturals price was SEVERAL DOLLARS higher than the price I see on PetGuys!  One item I buy frequently is called "Hip Action" and Zuke's was charging TWICE the price of PetGuys.
So...my rhetorical question du jour is this:  How can "the source" (in this case Zuke's) charge so much more for products they obviously sell to OTHER vendors who sell it for bargain-basement prices?  I cannot believe that PetGuys can afford to give away their products,  I have encountered this phenomenon before, and it always makes me scratch my head.  I suppose I need to ask Zuke's, but wanna bet I get a song and dance in addition to a deer-in-the-headlights "I don't understand your question, ma'am..." response.  So, I will have to be content with not having an understanding of all things retail, and Zuke's will never know that I am spending my dollars elsewhere :)

No comments:

Post a Comment