Monday, July 11, 2011

Pet Sitting!

Bonnie left town for the week for work.  Baxter (13 years and counting), Meme (almost 3-Velvet's sister) and Piper the Sun Conure are staying here, and I am going over to Bonnie's house a couple of times to feed the cat and clean her litterbox.
Meme has bad manners, and carries on in her crate.  However, I believe I have managed  to convince her that she really should be quiet when she is in her crate.  Thank gawd, because that is just one thing I CANNOT stand.  Baxter doesn't do well with puppies, and actually, he simply refuses to be a part of the pack and puts himself back into his crate when the other dogs are out!  Unfortunately Meme also appears not to like puppies, so she will also need to be crated longer than both she and I prefer, because yes-the puppies are spoiled and I can't stand to lock them up just because we have visitors who "don't like kids"!  Just who is spoiled and has bad manners here? :P
My dogs worry me a bit.  Although they are bird dogs, will they leave the bird alone if I tell them?  Let's just say I won't be leaving any dogs loose in the house when I'm not here.  Right now both Token and Velvet are standing on hind legs sniffing the bird who apparently thinks he likes the attention.  Meanwhile the Cavalier Markee paces in the background apparently cheerleading hoping one of the larger dogs will capture this feathered bird brain for him since it is out of his reach.  OK, so now I have a stick, because Velvet is totally OBSESSED, will not leave him alone, and just managed to grab hold of his tail and pulled a feather out.  (I'm hoping it's one he was molting already and no longer needs....)  I have a picture of Piper, but was trying to get one of Token looking at Piper, but can't manage!   Velvet assures me that if I will merely open the cage door, she will give me a really good photo op!  Yeah sure, Velvet!
I was given a very explicit feeding sheet for Piper.  This much pelleted food twice a day, limited snacks.  Awwww, c'mon.....what does this bird have to DO all day if he isn't eating?  I'm afraid he might get fat if he lived here long.  I just had no idea birds had such dietary requirements, but I guess they can't get gym memberships?  I tried a pea pod.  Not interested.  A cherry (pitted, since you aren't allowed to give them pits along with fruit) not interested.  Both items were tossed onto the floor of the cage and will remain there until I change the paper later.
So...as per instructions he got his 1 teaspoon of pelleted food early this AM and it was GONE in a matter of a few minutes.  Aren't you supposed to feed them an amount they will eat in 10 minutes?  Oh wait...that's gold fish.....a while later he got a "nutraberry" that looks like several forms of grain glued together.  He devoured that.  When I ate my sandwich for lunch I gave him a very tiny bit of crust "about the size of his eye" (another item off the instructions) and he loved that too.  Later an almond...uh oh it's larger than his eye.....oh well.....he can start his diet tomorrow....
Every time I leave the room he hangs off the side of the cage and SQUAWKS.  When I return, he's calm and quiet.....I think he likes me because I feed him...dinner soon, Piper....you get another teaspoon of pellets!  Yum-mo!!!    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment