Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A.K.C. Sheesh.....What Next?

I applaude the American Kennel Club's varied attempts toward creating more revenue for the board member's pension plan.  Recent implementation of additional methods by which we can write more checks to pay more entry fees with the addition of obedience classes, agility classes, the Grand Champion scheme....one new addition I was particularly pleased to see was the 4-6 puppy class that was going to be offered at AKC shows.  While puppies of that age cannot compete for points, I feel it is a good introduction to the "real" world of dog shows-especially since I live in an area that just doesn't offer very many sanction and/or fun matches, and even if you can locate a reasonable handling class, that isn't "real world" enough unless your dog shows are being held where your handling classes are?  No?  I didn't think so.
So today, I received an e-mail from AKC advising me of an opportunity to take my four-month-old puppy to a real dog show!  How exciting!  Well, as I read further, I discovered the club name:  "Mt Rainier Working Dog Association".  Bummer.....I have a sporting dog.
So, while *I* know better than to try to enter my sporting breed at a working breed show, how many people out there (who may not be fully versed in the workings of dog shows) will happily fill out an entry form and mail it in, expecting to show off their little pride and joy?
Good try, AKC.....

No comments:

Post a Comment