Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Saturday 4H, then Sunday At The Park

Judged a Pierce County 4H "qualifier" saturday.  What is a qualifier?  Well, it gives the kids another opportunity to qualify for state fair this fall.  There is so much stress at the fair for both kids and dogs, that although extremely disappointing, not qualifying is to be expected.  But if no one qualifies for state, and there is no display for the public, what good is this?  Having more than one opportunity to compete before the county fair in August really helps, and takes some of the pressure off for the actual fair.  Wish we had qualifiers when *I* was in 4H oh-so-many years ago!  Although I don't believe our county ever failed to fill its quota, so the point is moot. 

On this day, I was assigned the higher-level classes as well as the novice Y "B" classes (kids with new dogs who have already put one dog through novice Y previously).  Lots of promise seen in all of the classes , but unfortunately a lot of NQ's too.  I was so impressed with the sportsmanship and excellent attitude displayed by these teens, regardless of the outcome.  Very refreshing when all we ever hear about is the bad kids.
I judged some of the other 4H kids at the previous qualifier a couple weeks back, and was recently asked to judge at the Pierce County Fair in August, so stay tuned!  I am also judging an agility pre-qualfier and the actual fair agility competition for Kittitas County over in Ellensburg, and am really looking forward to those assignments.

Two local kennel clubs held sanction matches sunday.  In addition, the local Toy Group club held a "Toys Only" match.
Although the venue is a 10-minute drive from home, I haven't attended these annual match shows since Haileigh won Best Adult there in 2003 since usually I'm at agility trials this particular weekend.
Spanaway Park is magnificent.  Two sides are devoted to an 18-hole golf course, and one side is a decent sized lake.  Throughout the park are spectacular douglas fir trees that look to me to be second-growth.  Lots of grassy areas, plenty of parking, shade galore, "something for everybody", and on this lovely June afternoon, EVERYbody seemed to be there, and we had a lot of casual observers mingling amongst those of us there to show our dogs.  While sitting ring-side, I wondered to myself why none of the local kennel clubs consider this location for their summer shows?
Had a lovely visit with AKC judge Bill Russell, and he introduced me to a very nice older lady who had recently finished a championship on her Weimaraner.  She spent a lot of time socializing with puppies Smarty and Polly.  I entered Polly in the match along with Markee the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  Ivy came along for the ride and the opportunity to get used to hanging out in strange locations with the eventual goal that she learns to generalize and realizes she CAN be happy and she CAN work out in the scary big world.  Also attending the match were Janelle with Hudson (big brother to Polly and Smarty) and Janelle's friend Kelsey who showed her Brittany.
Polly was absolutely adorable, and showed very well.  We should have won, but we had to be content with two second place in puppy group.  I might be a little biased...lol...  Markee earned a 2nd and a 3rd in group, and did not place at the Toy match, although I thought he looked great and he showed well for Janelle.  Janelle and Markee won Best Junior at the Toy match.
The BIG WINNERS of the day were Janelle and Hudson.  They not only earned two BEST JUNIOR awards, but also won BOTH "Best Adult" in match!  Janelle had such a huge haul of rosettes and prizes I finally found a box to cram it all in for her to take home :)
I was exhausted just sitting ringside entertaining the puppies.  I kept hoping they would crash so I could relax but they just never wore down.  I was very happy to have a 10 minute drive at the end of the day believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment